Subject: [Leica] re: Resurgence of B&W
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 06:11:36 PDT

I'm finding this whole topic entertaining, because three months ago I had
the sudden realization why I hadn't taken anything but vacation pix since I
quit $$$ photography 20 years ago. The problem was the very unsatisfying
combination of slr cameras and the darkroom. So I gave away the darkroom,
put the slrs in mothballs, bought an M4-2 and a bunch of lenses and have
been having a great time--with inkjet printing.

The precipitating events were two: on the camera side, borrowing my wife's
Oly Stylus VF camera; on the darkroom issue, going to a museum exhibition
where the best prints on the walls were B&W, from inkjet printers. Smart
Blur and Unsharp Mask are fun toys (which I rarely use), but the real tool
of photoshop is Curves. The learning curve is steep. I started with color,
printing on a Fujix printer, and there's simply NO way to equal those
results with color in the darkroom if you understand and properly use
curves, and with color, some of the specific color tools. Once I got the
color thing straightened out, moving back to B&W I found that my whole
approach to printing is different, and for me, at least, the results were
several orders of magnitude better than anything I'd ever been able to do in
B&W (and I WAS a good B&W printer, long ago). At this point, inkjets lack
only sharpness at the level of observation that no one but photogeeks
notices (most of the people who look at my pictures will never pull out a
loupe to check the structure of the image :-), but I'm sure that's going to
happen soon enough.

Silver's not dead, but silver paper may be.

- --Michael Darnton