Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:46:40 -0700

> A lens designed for a rangefinder camera has an edge over it's SLR
> compitition...can bulge out more in the back.
> We're not alone anymore as of yesterday in the rangefinder world. There is
> "Voigtlander" and Konica and Contax. The wide angles on these systems have a
> natural edge over Nikon/Canon/etc SLR's i think.

Hi Mark,

     The Hasselblad Xpand now has three lenses that couple to the rangefinder.
Wide angle cameras have a long tradition for mostly the professional.
The Widulux in 35mm, though it didn't have a rangefinder.  The Hasselblad
SWC is an original design offered at the beginning of 'Blad, nearly, though
no rangefinder.  Fuju and Linhof make special wide cameras today, though again,
there's no rangefinder, both roll film.

     The design of wide angles for the rangefinder is better because the
lens is less complex, not having to be a retrofocus type.  They're also
smaller and lighter.  Only in wide angle close-ups do the SLR types have
the edge in precise composition.

     Having the rangefinder coupling on the Leica lenses is most necessary
for the 50mm lens and even the 35mm lens wide open.

					Cheers,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net