Subject: Re: [Leica] analog AND digital - kinda long again
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:30:01 -0500

<<<<<<<<<<
>Talking of file sizes... Durst recently used some of my transparencies to
>make display illos to promote their Lambda at exhibitions in the UK (and at
>PMA I believe). When I enquired how big the file size was and could they
>send me copies on disk they asked what I intended doing with them because
>each individual image JUST fitted onto a CD... around 670Mb each.

Wow! those are big files.

I work as the production manager of a large ad agency. A couple years back
we did a series of 25" x 38" posters with a full bleed background photo
built as a 4-color black and white image (that is, for those unfamiliar
with litho printing, it was a black-and white photo reproduced using all
four process colors in order to hold a greater range of tones). The final
file of each poster barely fit a 1 gig Jaz disk. Each was over 900 mb in
size.

The post which noted that limitations in printing make digital photos
satisfactory for many uses was correct. But there are still situations
where nothingless than a traditionally-photographed print or transperancy
will yield the image quality the final printed piece requires.

Larry