Subject: Re: [Leica] get the shot or walk on by?
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:34:42 -0700

At 10:30 PM 4/11/00 -0500, Harrison Mcclary wrote:
>once upon a time Jeff Spirer wrote:
>
> > In many
> > countries, death is far more commonplace an experience and there are many
> > photographs of the dead.
>
>Could you tell me where death is less common?  I want to move there.

Maybe you misunderstood what I said.  In the US, in much of Europe, in
particular, people often die in the hospital or places from which they are
immediately removed to the morgue.  Even from their homes.  Two of my
neighbors have died in the last two years yet I never saw any indications
of their death.

But in many countries, people die in their community and are carried to
their grave by the people in the community.  Death is visible, including
for children (a big no-no here in the US, hide the body, quick), and people
are aware of this.  Also, in countries undergoing war, famine and other
types of strife, death is a common sight.

A little bit of cultural sensitivity goes a long way...

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/