Subject: Re: [Leica] 75 F1.4 vs. 90 F2 Apo Asph: Best with M6?
From: austin@darkroom.com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:58:02 -0400

>My concerns are in two
>different directions: One dealing with the ability to focus accurately at
>F1.4 with the 0.72 model (vs at F2 with the 90mm) and the second dealing
>with the photographic characteristics of each lens (sharpness, color
>rendition, contrast, etc.)

I have a 75/1.4, and it is unquestionably my favorite lense for the type of work I love to do...get up close and personal.  It has a marvelously flat depth of field...that I don't hesitate to take full advantage of ;-)  It gives great separation of focused areas from unfocused areas, which makes working in tight scenes very easy.

It is a very well balanced lense, not too 'top heavy' in my opinion...  It has fine contrast, is very sharp, even full open, and color rendition is good too.  No complaints at all.

I have not used the 90, but the 75 seems to be just perfect for my work...I'd like to try the 90 some day, but I think it's just a little too close for me!  I have a .72 M6, and if I was going to use the 90, I'd probably want the .85...

As a note, I don't believe the 90 is an ASPH....