Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M vs. Summicron-M
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:45:44 -0700

Jeff, et al
Actually, the caps are not too awfully expensive, in my experience, but when
I bought the shade with the aperture lingage (VALOO?) my wallet said,
"PLOOT!" as I extracted the wad of cash!
The Elmar 50/3,5 is a pretty nice lens for all but your lowest light level,
shooting in a bar, club or spelunking type shots. Mine is a coated version
from the 50's and is LTM, though I have used it on occasion with the adapter
on the M6. Since it stops down to f22, and I use Ilford HP5 a lot, it gives
me a little more lattitude with my shutter speeds in bright light!
It may not be on a par with the Summicron, but if you are starting out-
Hell! even if you've been around a while, the Elmar is a nice addition to
your kit!
I am sure the newer Elmar-M at f2,8 is an even finer lens! If the price is
right, get it- fortunately, if you find that it isn't quite right, Leica
lenses are easy to sell, and usually for about what you put in them! This
factor alone has allowed me to explore lenses I wouldn't have even
considered!
Best of light!

Dan ( Buy it, use it, like it or sell it!) Post