Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic/Help on Rolleiflex
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:56:27 -0700

Kulapat-
Not knowing where you are.... and your name sure doesn't sound like you are
from North Carolina! My suggestion would be to have John Van Stelten do the
work.
You indicate the lens has 'moll' and I am assumin g that you meant 'mold'- I
have wide fingers and make the same type errors so if my assumtion is wrong,
correct me!!
I had a 2,8E that had had the coating destroyed, and was despairing ever
getting the camera into usable condition! Cosmetically it was in very fine
condition, and the shutter was in need of a CLA. I had John polish and
recoat the lens, and it came back LIKE NEW! I had sent the camera to Harry
Fleenor seperately, because I dfidn't know at that time that John also
repairs Leicas!! and Rolleiflex TLRs!
The Schneider Xenotars, and the Zeiss Tessars are from what I've gathered
are comparable, and the feeling about which is superior divides the
Rolleinuts right down the middle! Personally, I had examples of both, and I
couldn't tell the difference in performance at all!
Both are very very nice lenses, and I think the Zeiss does command a higher
price simply because it was used less( I may be wrong on that....)
If you plan to use the camera, I would say- DO IT! get it fixed. You may not
get your investment back if you merely want to sell the camera, but if it
came to you 'gratis', then having it repaired will get you a really fine
camera for less than a comparable one would be on the open market.
I know this is a Leica group, but I have found a lot of the smae folks at
the Rollei User Group, so I won't apologise for this post!

Dan ( Been there, done that- have the bill!) Post