Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 classic and 90mm lenses
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:41:21 +1000

Pascal wrote:

> - is precise focusing a problem with these lenses on a classic M6 model
> due to the small area in the viewfinder?

Hi Pascal,

I'm using a 90 on both 0.72 and 0.85 M6s and I don't notice much
difference in focussing accuracy.  If the lens and camera work properly
together (ie, focus shown in rangefinder = focus on film), then properly
focussed images are more a matter of technique and care than the
viewfinder magnification.  The higher magnification does provide a more
intimate view though.

However, I am finding the 0.85 rangefinder patch a bit tricky to use, in
that a slightly misleading focus indication can occur if one looks
through the viewfinder on a slight angle, at the point where the patch
almost flares out.

I've noticed many folks mention that the M3 rangefinder seems less
inclined to flare than the M6s.  Well, I was wondering, could the M6
viewfinder be designed to flare if one is not looking through it dead
straight, so that focussing accuracy is improved?  Any M3 users care to
comment?  Focus on a thin vertical line, up close, and move your eye
left to right.  What happens to the line?  Does it stay as one
where-ever your eye is?

I've just got my soccer portraits from last Saturday back, taken with
0.85TTL and 90 'cron.  Most are bang on, but an annoying (to me) number
are soft on the eyes and sharper on the ears.  The depth at 1.7 to 2
meters and f2.8 or 4 is so shallow!  But the mums don't seem to mind,
and they love the bokeh background (dappled light through autumn leaves,
courtesy Mother Nature).  I think the problem with the soft ones is that
I'm not looking straight enough through the viewfinder.  It's driving me
nuts!  Clues or suggestions anyone?

Regards

Rick Dykstra