Subject: [Leica] contacts... pages.. advice
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:10:06 -0500

I use Printfile's Archival pages model 35-7B ( 7 strips of 5 negs...)  You
can get them B&H etc. in bulk quantity if you like.... ( I buy the 500 page
box )

I like these sheets since I can get all of the images on a standard 8x10
sheet of Ilford paper with no problem.  And they are thin and clear....
great for making contacts through the sheets.  I stick a 4mm sheet of glass
on top and it works for me..

But you do lose a bit of the sprockets, If you place it right, you can lose
the sprockets of the top strip and keep the frame numbers on the bottom
strip,  but it's not the end of the world if the you lose the bottom frame
numbers... I have people mark things on the contact sheets with a grease
pencil or pen anyhow.

My lab insists on using Printfiles 7 strips of 6.... for my C-41 stuff.  It
does give you the entire roll.... but it makes the process of doing contacts
a real pain.

I'm not fond of making contact sheets.....  I often shoot multiple subjects
on a single roll, so I have to sort stuff up by subject matter so I can file
them in a easily retrievable manner.  So I generally wait to do contacts
until I have 20 or 30 rolls.... I get tired just thinking about taking every
strip out of a page, laying them in order on paper and then putting them
back in pages in the right order. It's a contact sheet, not a work of art.

My suggestion if you really want to impress people with your contacts.....
is make sure the exposure is the same on every shot..... get close to your
subject and use your leica.... :  )

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador