Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour negative film
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:37:31 -0500

>2000-04-17-16:21:35 Martin Howard:
>> Another thought: I read in a review of the UMAX PowerLook III that it
>> doens't handle colour negative film as well as it handles the colour
>> reversal type (there where scans on the page to illustrate the concept --
>> the difference was dramatic).  Is this a common feature of scanners and
>> therefore one should shoot chromes rather than negs?
>
>I'm pretty sure that the most fundamental weakness in CCD (read:
>affordable;  not the photomultiplier tubes in drum scanner) scanners
>is their ability to ``see into'' the densest areas of the medium being
>scanned.  So do you want to lose shadow detail (chromes) or highlight
>detail (negs)?  I understand (but will doubtless be corrected if
>wrong) that most people who scan as their primary use for film choose
>to work with negatives.

The additional problems everyone (scanner mfgs) has with scanning color
negatives are:
1. the removal of the orange mask
2. The conversion of the negative to positive
3. Color management through the above steps

Variations in processing and exposure add even more difficulties to the
above situation.
Its tough!

The more expensive scanners have better developed software and do a
better job with negs. than do cheaper ones (not too surprising)

With color positives they only have to match the colors that are there.
Which until the last year or two was a daunting task for the computer
guys. Now, if you work on a Mac, Colorsync seems to have color management
under control.  :)  :)

As simple as this job may seem, only recently has the average
photographer been able to produce accurate, repeatable color with desktop
scanners - with any kind of film.

You (as the scanner operator) have a proof right in your hand to judge
color by when using transparency film. This is why many publishers only
work with transparencies. But it does not mean that we have to do it that
way. Especially if you're doing the scanning. Heck, you were there and
made the picture, who else could say what the color should be?

I often choose color negative because I like the generally lower contrast
(compared to something like Velvia) and resistance to blowing out (or
blocking up). They are more capable of capturing a wider range scene than
chrome film. I think skin tones are better (more to my liking) with color
negative. But everyone has different likes in this department.

Color negative films are incredibly highly developed products as they are
the backbone of the film industry. Its what almost all consumers choose.
The manufacturers make tons of it. And color negative films have become
really excellent.

Martin,
On this flat bed scanner issue - unless you HAVE to do MF film or scan
prints, I suggest you buy a dedicated 35mm film scanner. You will see
much, much better results from your Leica film.
(WhewŠ I finally got OT)

Or buy the film scanner and a cheap flat bed for when you need one.

Henry Ambrose