Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour negative film
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:16:40 -0700

At 4:29 PM -0400 4/20/00, AWSteg wrote:
>Usually the opposite is true since slide film has less dynamic range than
>neg.!
>
>Al Stegmeyer   UPSTREAM PHOTOGRAPHY & www.upstrap.com a non-slip camera
>strap guaranteed to stay on your shoulder!

The on-film density range of transparency film is much higher, but the
ability to record a wide dynamic range subject matter is greater with
negative film. So the compression that the scene undergoes is much greater
on negative film, but the dynamic range that that scene produces is smaller
on negative film. Scanners such as the LS-30 do a fine job on color
negative material, but fall down on slides such as Velvia and Kodachrome 25
which have information just off their considerable D-max.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com