Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: making contact prints
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:44:12 +0100

>Yeah. I have to admit that 35mm contact sheets aren't really worth that
>much from the standpoint of evaluating the details of a picture. You
>can sort of weed out the real losers, but I make 8x10 rough proofs to
>really figure out if I want to print the thing for real.

Before I make a b&w contact sheet I indicate on the plastic negative pocket
how sharp each negative is (five for the sharpest and a one for the really
unsharp ones). I do this with a good quality black 'overhead projector'
pencil and the numbers copy on very well to the contact sheet. Cheap pens
and other colours will not always copy very well. Using a loupe this takes
a couple of minutes per film, but saves a lot of time in the end. I use a
V35 enlarger with automatic focusing, and once I have decided what what to
print from the contact sheet I never worry about sharpness. I know what
sharpness I will get. There are enough other things to worry about when
printing.

Hoping a Nice Easter will be had by all,

Chris