Subject: Re: [Leica] Broken M5
From: J Vaughan <sthawk_ontheroad@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:54:50 -0700 (PDT)

- --- P2CON@aol.com wrote:
> Jeremy writes:
>
> << OK I'm  the FNG on this list...
>  I bought a broken M5 yesterday and need some help diagnosing it  or
>  finding someone to fix it.
>   I'm in Portland, Maine for the next month or so.
>  Symptoms-
>     doesn't fire when the bottom is ON the camera
>     self timer doesn't work
>     Meter doesn't seem to be working/ no #'s in the viewfinder
>     film counter isn't working...
>   I bought it as a back up for my M6.
>   Any help Greatly Appreciated.
>   Jeremy >>
>
> Jeremy, since it is only to be used as a backup for your M6, I would
> suggest
> you only need to work around the not-firing problem. Just leave the
> bottom
> off of the camera, and use some black tape to make it light tight
> after
> timer or
> a meter. If you really need to keep track of the number of shots you
> have
> taken, just put a piece of masking tape on the back and mark it with
> a pencil
> each time you shoot.
>
> Hope this advice helps, ;-) , and happy shooting.
>
> Paul Connet

Paul-
 Thanks for the advice. Last night after I'd typed this note I looked
across the room at my Quaker Oatmeal Pinhole camera and that very
thought struck me. BLACK TAPE!!! Of courese its the answer to every
photographer's question. Camera bag broken? Black Tape! Changing bag
sprung a leak? No Problem... just toss on some BLACK TAPE!!!
Wise guy Assistant or LUG member...  BLACK TAPE!!! ;-)

 AS for the frame counter problem I mounted a pencil lead to the winder
and each time I cock the shutter the lead makes a mark as I move it
outwards toward the RF.
 The light meter isn't a problem since recently purchased the re-issue
Weston Meter (in Ti of course)

I've been in touch with Sherry and she has told me to box it up and
ship it to her... she also said to sell the M6 and find another M5...
We'll see.

Jeremy