Subject: Re: [Leica] Internet Years vs Leica Years
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:14:30 -0700

You make a great point!
I think that as long as the lens gives you the image style and quality- in
terms of sharpness and 'bokeh' that you like and want,there is no compelling
reason to get every new issue that comes out! For me, a Summarit from the
50's- once cleaned and collimated, gives me an image that appears to me as
good as the newer 'more improved' Summilux, but then, I do very little over
8x10, so all the great 'improvements' made in recent years may be wasted on
me.
I can see where those who take there photos to 16x20 or so would see the
difference, and want to make the commitment to get the newer lenses, I agree
withyou that your 35/2 ASPH will probably never be 'obsolete' for your use
and style.
The great thing about Leitz/Leica glass is that it is usually cutting edge
for what ever year that it's made, and being the best, it stands up over the
long haul. You know that there are Leicaphiles out there who won't use a
Leica younger than 50 or 60 years old! I've seen their work- online at
least, and there ain't nothing shabby about it!
I only hope that our grandchildren will be as appreciative! I am sure that
they will get even better photos with the better films available in the
future!
In an age where we are surrounded by an industrial and social mindset of
disposables, with disposable cars, disposable lighters, even disposable
children- you hear about them everyday!- it's good to hear a voice of
reason, and stability out there!
I would dare say that the phrase, "It don't get any better than this!", was
first uttered by a Leicaphile!
Dan ("Come to papa!", He said to his Leica, Lucy....) Post