Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: making contact prints
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:22:08 -0700

Jim-
This can be minimized. I always did contacts- when I did them, by using the
enlarger as as much of a 'point source' as possible- I put the head as high
as possible, and used as small an aperture as possible. The same physical
principles you find in the Callier effect work outside the enlarger.
With the head too close, and with a wide open aperture, you can get
significant scattering of light in the layer of plastic, no matter how thin,
and the image can be severely degraded.
Using a more 'point source' type of light as I described, the light seems
more collimated, and the negative, even with the thin layer of plastic,
casts, literally, a more sharply defined shadow on the paper, and makes for
sharper, more easily evaluated contacts. Try it - it works.
Just raised the head as high as possible, and stop down the lens, and your
contacts will be noticably better.
Dan ( Wondering what a 16x20 inkjet print would cost....!) Post