Subject: Re: [Leica] Leaving the lens cap off
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:47:20 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I wanted to ask about one of your suggestions...

> whenever the camera isn't in use due to the possibility of having sunlight
> burn a hole in the shutter.  I'd prefer to leave it off, actually, but not
> at the expense of the camera shutter!<<<<<<

Hi Dan,

In reality it can only happen if one is stupid enough to shoot directly
into the sun and even then it's a rarity. I mean how long do you need to
look into the sun to photograph it?  Or when one is lying on their back
enjoying the sunshine without thinking about putting the camera to one
side instead of it face up on their chest.  Or they set the camera down
on it's back facing the sky and into the sun.  Quite frankly, a very
dumb thing to do!

I haven't had lens caps on my M lenses since I started using M cameras
farther back than I can remember or Leicas before that. And in all these
years all around the world and more assignments in pure ass burning
sunshine, I've never had a burnt shutter.

> I find it a nuissance to keep taking the cap on and off, especially since it
> can't be mounted with the hood extended (and so more often than not I
> neglected to extend the hood--not a good trade-off).<<<<<<<<<<<

Stick it in your pocket if you feel you really need to have it handy,
other wise leave it at home or in your camerta bag. The only time you
really need it is when you decide to sell the lens and the buyer wants
the lens caps! :-)  The only time my lenses have a lens cap on is when
they are in the equipment cabinet, all other times they are ready to be
used at a moments need! Bare assed and ready!

Man and are there going to be a zillion responses why I should use them
or reasons why others have them on!   :-) :-)

ted