Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality issues
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:02:11 +1000

Martin Howard wrote:

> > Our fellow Tom bought 2 lenses which are very expensive.
>

> Shit happens.  It's a fact of life.  The real issues are:
>
>   * Did Leica acknowledge the faults?
>   * Did Leica take care of the faults?
>   * Did Leica learn from the incident?

and a lot of other interesting shit.

I would say I've had more trouble with new photographic equipment from a
variety of manufacturers in the last four years than anyone would
believe.  Cameras, flashes, lenses, you name it. I've kept it pretty
well to myself, although my Doctor thought it might be better for my
health if I found a less stressful sideline, when my gear kept failing a
couple of weeks short of a busy season of contract work, three years in
a row.  The good Doc noticed the pattern the second year and asked,
"What happens in you life this time of year?"  I took my son in with a
cold last Thursday and the Doc said, "So your cameras are OK this year?"
 Yep!

Fact is, of all the gear that's failed, I've been the best looked after
by Leica, and their Australian Agent, Adeal.  A very professional level
of support and something Leica might capitalise on.

So, Tom, you have my sympathies, and be assured that your experience is
not so rare, and as Martin so eloquently hinted, Leica will fix it.
They wont spill their guts, but they will do a good job.

Regards

Rick (prefers German air than German guts in his repair jobs) Dykstra