Subject: [Leica] RE: scanning comparison
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:50:50 +0100

Martin Howard said:
>There is a tremendous difference between the
>scans, not least in colour rendition.  And what is that strange, white,
>criss-cross pattern on the VueScan images?

You're right, there's a big difference in colour rendition. Although, I
think I can deal with this in Photoshop.

Of the two scans, the Nikon Scan was far closer to the original. However, I
did compare another Kodachrome shot outdoors and the VueScan was much
better. This is why I reckon it's worth persevering with the new software.

The strange, white, criss-cross pattern on the VueScan images is due to it
being a trial version. I'm still getting used to the software and when I'm
happy I'll stump up the 40 USD for the proper version.

John Bean wrote:
>when using Vuescan's automatic features (white balance, color
>restore, auto levels, etc) you need to set the black point and white point
>as well as the image gamma.  The default settings allow some clipping of
>the highlights, which is not acceptable in most cases.

In my ignorance, I didn't realise you had to set the black and white points
as well. Is there an obvious range I should begin with? Me-No-Techno-Speak
so I'd welcome a few tips!

>Vuescan's adjustment tools are not good - I prefer to do a
>"neutral" scan (having set the film type) then correct with Photoshop's
>much better tools.

This looks the best approach. I'd already set it to the Kodachrome film
setting and will try to fix the clipping of highlights and then do any
re-jigging in Photoshop.

>Nikon's software can't do the former (use IR channel),
>and only offers the latter (multi-pass scanning) in the much more expensive
LS-2000. Don't
>underestimate the benefits of multi-pass scanning of Kodachrome or Velvia,
>especially for low-key images.

Now, I understand what the difference between the two scanners are! When I
bought the LS-30 I was more concerned whether I'd be up to the task of
installing it with a SCSI card. Just shows how your attention can be
diverted!

Thanks for all your responses. I must say, digital scanning and printing is
a bit of a minefield and your help is appreciated.

Paul.