Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning comparison
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:51:10 +0100

on 25/4/00 2:19 AM, Mike Quinn at mlquinn@san.rr.com wrote:

> The sentiment behind: "Here's a sample of our work. It looks really
> terrible, but pay us money and we might do a better job." doesn't fill me
> with confidence....
>
> I NEVER order anything from a company that thinks its cute to write their
> logos over (or otherwise screw up) my images.
>
> Bad as they may be, they are important to me and the shock of seeing them
> degraded lingers forever.

Your loss, Mike. Vuescan is an impeccable and, IMHO, indispensable (and
CHEAP) piece of software, even though the Mac port is a bit clumsy.

The lines have no effect on the tonality or detail of the images and allow
you to play with the demo to your hearts content, rather than time-limiting
it or stopping you saving. I ponied up after 24 hours with the software as
it simply does things no other driver does (with my equipment).

Okay, they're ugly, but that's the point. I bet they've earned Hamrick a ton
of $$$.

Finally, IMHO Vuescan works best with all the bells and whistles switched
off, and b/w points set automatically by the software. I find its dust
removal algorithm, for example, very intrusive. My view is, get the image
off the negative with Vuescan and into Photoshop at the highest resolution
and bit depth you can, then start work.

Most of the time I use my regular driver from Photoshop, but for anything
critical I would use Vuescan.
- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com