Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:13:46 -0700

At 9:26 AM -0500 4/25/00, Henry Ambrose wrote:

>>And on a related note: is the Nikon Coolscan LS2000 still the benchmark?
>>I've also seen a Nikon Supercoolscan 2000 selling slightly cheaper (from a
>>single supplier) than the LS2000. Is this a newer or alternate model?
>
>I think the Polaroid 4000 is the benchmark in the under $1500 range.
>It'll do scans twice the size of the Nikon.

In head to head comparisons I did, the Polaroid 4000 had somewhat less
advantage in resolution than the difference between using the digital ICE
and turning it off on the Nikon. On the other hand, the Nikon had a greater
ability to see into the shadows, even without the 16x multi-sampling, which
increased its advantage significantly. Also the Nikon has the batch
scanning option.

The film used for the test was Velvia.

The Polaroid was returned.

   *            Henning J. Wulff