Subject: Re: [Leica] Human Traffic
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:14:33 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:  to Johnny Deadman's advice in shooting four rolls
to overcome shy shooting on the street.

> Thanks for this advice, Johnny--it's truly helpful.
>
> My hunch is that it is easier to street shoot where there is a higher
> density of human traffic; there's less attention to any one person,
> including the one with the camera.  Baltimore traffic tends to be sparse,
> save for certain times/occasions.  DC is a bit thicker.
>
> I'll give your experiment a try.<<<<<<<<

Hi Dan,

Johnny's advice is an interesting method in the UK. However, from past
experience in doing street documentaries in the US,  people there
(obviously not all of them)  seem to be more challenging to a camera
pointed in their direction, even on a crowded street.

I'm always open, quick and never sneaky shooting this stuff, because if
you're not, you can be in deep trouble if you appear doing something
nefarious.

I've had several people stop at the same time with..." Hey you!  What
the hell are you taking my picture for?" and none of them actually in
the frame at the time of the exposure, but the camera was in their
general direction.

Even being as open as all get out, the next thing you know you have
several conversations all at the same time, yet none of the people are
related, just all asking the same question and demanding an answer!
Often one person more belligerent than the others.

You might find you'll be over your shyness "very quickly" in four rolls!
  But it might take 44 rolls  to get over feelings of being intimidated!
:-)

ted