Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hasselbald vs. Leica <much OT stuff>
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:33:17 -0400

I used 500CMs and a cadre of lenses and backs while stationed at the Army's
Cold Region Research Center in Alaska for a year in 1986. Only problem we
EVER had is when a photographer with to us on temp duty assignment "got
cold" (it was only -70 for Goddess sake!) and got back in the truck leaving
his rig unsecured on the tripod in brisk winds. I almost cried myself when
the thing (including the just out of the box zoom) hit the ice and died. He
cried harder as the Army attached his wages for the next 2 years or so to
pay for it.

My point is, Alaska was a pretty harsh test of equipment. We shot hundreds
of rolls a week through each body and I can't think of a time where one
failed us due to manufacture defect. I won't compare them to a Lieca
because they are a different tool for a different type of job. But all that
I dealt with back then were very nice indeed.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube