Subject: [Leica] Lens Advice Requested
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:31:58 -0400

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I've mentioned I am looking forward to the purchase of an M6 .85 in the
near future. I currently am shooting Leica-ly with a nice user CL a 40/2
Summicron and an older Elmar 9cm/4 (with an LTM>M adapter.)

When I buy the M6, I am looking into what is suggested that I get for the
most complete setup at the most reasonable cost (of course.)
My inclination is to buy a 28mm (either an Elmarit 2.8 or a CLE version)
and possibly trade up the Elmar for a faster 90mm experience. (which I
should have done in the first place and just used it at f/4 or slower with
the CL.) Maybe in the future (after my wife has forgiven me the costs that
I'm about to incur soon for the M6) I will pick up a 135, but I rarely use
greater than the 90 now and so will plan all else first.

I am thinking of NOT getting a 35 or a 50 as the 40 falls nicely right in
the middle of that range and I find it superb with the CL. I have been told
that the 40 for the CL is incompatible with the M6 in terms of focus (I
realise that it will conjure up 50 frame but like using the 28 with the M6
.85 I think I will work around that) and I've also read that this claim was
more the marketing guys at Leitz trying to stay employed than a truism in
practice. I'm not going to rid myself of the lens anyhow (I really LOVE it
on the CL) and I would be safe to just try it to find out myself, but I
would like to hear from any of you* who have any experience, good or bad,
using the 40mm on the larger M bodies. (* in addition to Stephen Gandy's
comments...whom I thank here for the very informative site!)

Thank you.
Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube