Subject: [Leica] Re: M5, Comments?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:42:33 +0100

"M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com> asked:

>Anyone have any comments good or bad about the M5?

>How do they hold up to real use, what are your impressions of the
"feel" as
users of and what is a reasonable price for an M5?

Since I like the CL, I wondered if I'd also like the M5. Sure, it
feels a little odd in the hand after a classic M camera, but it's
traditional Leitz quality. However to my ears and perception it lacks
the quietness of the traditional M camera. If the M makes a "snick"
noise when the shutter is fired, the M5 makes more of a "clunk". I
suspect that there may be a mechanical resonance in the top plate
which has the effect of amplifying the shutter sound. I seriously
considered an M5 (there are many satisfied M5 users on the LUG) but I
suspect that the photocell arm would not allow me to use my 20mm f5.6
Russar or 28mm f2.8 Canon lenses.

Regards,

Doug Richardson