Subject: RE: [Leica] awaiting the wrath of the Leica cops
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 09:32:47 -0400

Good job, B!  I've already gotten accustomed to carrying the Leica around my
shoulder (it pretty much lives there now) without the lens cap on and
without regard to anything but capturing photos.  If I stop and think about
how much money I have dangling from my shoulder, it will keep me from using
the camera as freely as I like--and then what's the point of having it?

I shot two rolls at a farmers market in Takoma Park--lots of kids, old
folks, bright colors, shadows and sunlight.  There's a festive atmosphere
there, so everyone is relaxed and you can get pretty close and just snap
away and people don't seem to mind.  I shot a roll of Tri-X and a roll of
Superia.

Then I went to St.Clair's birthday party and got to take photos of a bunch
of 5 and 6 year olds.  They all wanted to look at my camera, to hold it and
take pictures, too.  At first I cringed, but then figured, what the hell,
M's have been through Vietnam, surely they can tolerate a few five year
olds.

I carry the M6 with the 50 'cron, and my trusty Epic Stylus (fixed 35/2.8);
b&w in the M, color in the Sytlus.  I find that I miss shots with the M that
I capture with the Stylus--even though I use the latter in spot-mode, and so
always set the AF/AE, then recompose.  It's mainly because I'm not used to
focusing the M yet--I spend too much time on that.  And I also worry over
the correct exposure reading more than I ought to--esp. when shooting
negatives.  I've got a lot more to learn in this regard.  But at least I'm
over the coddling phase and out shooting photos nearly every day.  :)

Dan