Subject: Re: [Leica] awaiting the wrath of the Leica cops
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 03:28:12 -0700

I hate to say this, but here are 2 counterexamples:

My 35/2 ASPH took a one-foot drop onto concrete and the focusing mount
was trashed. Leica New Jersey replaced it under passport, thank goodness.

My 50/1 which was in an overhead bin in an airplane in a fairly
well-padded camera bag had its focusing mount trashed in an unlucky
collision.

Of the two the second was far more distressing. It's not covered by
passport, and the lens has now been languishing in Germany since February
since it's not something that can be repaired in New Jersey. Furthermore,
it's not as if the lens was dropped down a staircase. Someone's carry-on
bumped into my camera bag.

I don't know why Leica's focus mounts are susceptible to this damage,
in years of using and abusing Nikons this problem was unheard of to me.

Oh well, I don't mean to be a party pooper but I hardly think one would
want to drive nails with a Leica. It's a precision instrument, and if I
wanted something to stand up to the elements I'd look for a camera with
a lot more rubber padding on the outside.

Byron.