Subject: [Leica] (Xtol) Why 1+3 dilution ?
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 00:37:47 +1000

Christer Almqvist wrote

>I see a lot of you using Xtol diluted 1+3 and I wonder why you use this
>dilution.

>When I started using Xtol I tried different dilutions and found  the prints
>from Delta 100 negatives developed in 1+1 more to my liking (whatever that
>is) than the ones from negatives developed in undiluted Xtol. I did one
>test with 1+3 and found these prints less sharp than the ones from 1+1 but
>that could have been due to other reasons than the dilution. I did not do
>any further testing of 1+3 because I found the development times too long
>and I did not like to have to restrict the number of films I could develop
>at the same time in my tank due to developer capacity reasons.

I'm told that it increases film speed by 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.  This is why I
use it with the Neopan 1600 - to squeeze that
extra ounce of speed out of it.  I rate the film at 1200 and develop using
Xtol 1:3.

Is it correct?  I'm not sure.  The Film Development Cookbook might tell you.

Regards
Gareth Jolly