Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure, darkroom, technique
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:32:04 -0700

Dan,

There has been a lot of good advice on the LUG.  Now I will add my simplistic
advice <G>.

This is the technique I was taught both in the Army (30 years ago> and in a
photo technique course I took at my local community college last year.

1.  Pick a film (I think you mentioned you are using Tri-X).  I used Plus X
Pan (ASA 125).

2.  Pick a standard developer.  I used D76 1:1.

3.  Develop your own film.

4.  Use the time and agitation frequency recommended by the film manufacturer
from the data sheet that is printed inside the box, on a separate sheet
packaged with the film, or downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

5.  Repeat the above for at least 20 rolls of film, trying to keep your
technique exactly the same.

6.  On at least 5 rolls of film, bracket your exposure + - one full stop.

Developing your own film does not require a darkroom.  All you need is a
changing bag (+bottle opener +scissors), a daylight developing tank (use junk
film to practice loading), a liquid measuring cup, an accurate thermometer (I
use an instant read kitchen thermometer that I compare with a laboratory
thermometer), a timing device (for the development phase, I use a $5 digital
kitchen timer), and chemicals and bottles (developer, stop, fixer, hypo
clearing agent (opt.), and photo flo (opt. but highly recommended).  The film
can be place on clips and hung in a low traffic area closet for drying.

The entire developing set-up can be bought in the US for about $100.

You will need proof sheets unless you are already fantastic at reading
negatives.  Your processor can do this or you can go into the darkroom phase.

I can nearly guarantee that after 20 or so rolls of film you will begin to
understand what you are doing right and wrong.  That is when you can begin to
modify your procedures, film speed, developer, film, etc.  What you are really
looking for is consistency before you begin to modify things.  In the
meantime, keep everything as simple as possible.

As regards the bracketed exposures, our assignment was to print the three
exposures as close as possible (which brought on a lot of other learning
experiences).

You might also consider buying a basic book --- we used _Photography_ by
Charles Swedlund.  It would give you enough information to later understand
Adams, et al.  Plus you can do some of the exercises and get some new
perspectives on photographic techniques.

Regards, Bill Larsen