Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 metering question
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 22:27:34 +0200

Joe wrote:

> If you had a clear sun behind you during the test, I would say that the
> Nikon meter is off.

Hello Joseph,

IMHO, I don't think so. In his first post, Simon told that he took a measure
against a white wall. The M6 gave 1/1000 at f/11 and a half. With a 400 ISO
film, this is an impossible value: but a specular reflect, nothing needs a EV18+
exposure. Let's say that Simon wants to have a white textured wall. He will have
to open 1 and a half to 2 stops depending on the density he wants to get. The
Nikon's matrix saw a large white area and opened one stop. The F5 was off, yes,
but because it did not open enough! This is consistent with the results I get
with my F5. He compensates underexposures of very bright area but a little less
(say half a stop) that I would like. That said, the lighmeter of the M6 is much
more predictible as it behaves like good old time lightmeters.

All the best,

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)