Subject: [Leica] metering - sunny 16
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:32:34 +0200

I think this approach is mainly suitable for people shooting B+W or colour
neg - try using this approach with slide and it simply doesn't work, except
as a check that the exposure is in the right ballpark.
I suspect that a lot of the B+W fetishism ("B+W gets to the soul of the
scene", blah blah blah) really comes down to B+W being a much more
forgiving medium than colour slide, along with the historical priority of
B+W in photojournalism.
I like both, but I don't think either is _truer_ than the other.
Ooops - I strayed!

Rob.

Walter Levy wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> "Turn off the meter, and practice judging the exposure by eye."
>
> When I was at RIT in the mid-70s our instructor gave us a fun assignment.
> We each received a list of 36 locations around campus, both indoor and
> outdoor.  We were to shoot one black and white exposure at each location,
> without using a light meter.  Very instructive, and confidence-building.
>
> Walter

This thread appears about every couple of months: we are all to dependent
on our
meters; should build confidence and sensitivity and go without them.
I'll weigh in again this time and say that I've shot thousands of rolls of
film
over decades and I don't buy it- Don't go for it and don't like it.
Once or twice when out street shooting my meter  has gone dead on my and I was
able to find my way home.
Most of my shots came out.
But I say forget the Force, use the meter, get the shot, it may not come
again.
Mark Rabiner
<<<<
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow