Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Magazine now commercial vs. noncommercial
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:26:30 -0500

>Hi Donal,
>
>I wasn't aware of the financial goings-on to do with paying for web photos.
>My comments must have been like a red rag to a bull for pro photogs. Thanks
>for the measured response.
>
>I still don't understand how online web-zines like RedTop, Reportage, The
>Digital Journalist fund the journals. There are no advert banners, the
>quality of journalism and photography is very high. Are all these ripping
>photogs off?
>
>Julian

I think the web-zines you mentioned are in a different class. They are
not buying the pictures, its voluntary. They are providing a showcase for
something that might not be seen otherwise. Some are funded by industry
sources. In the case of Halstead's site, Digital Journalist, I think its
a vehicle to promote his schools by way of  editorial value and maybe
some funding. (I don't know this for fact, could be wrong)

for another good one that you did not mention also see:

http://www.foto8.com/

I'm all for this kind of site. They seem to me to be positive influences.

The problem is the commercial site that offers the creator nothing or
nearly nothing for his work. They are not playing fairly. Even if the
company states that their website lost $500,000 last year that has no
relevance to them paying fair fees for content. Its all part of a larger
entity that did make $millions and millions.

Ask how much it costs to have an ad on any of these sites and you'll find
it outrageous that they offer almost nothing for content.

Henry Ambrose