Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Japan?
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:44:32 -0400

Mikiro jotted down the following:

> So, does the current 28-70 have new optics designed by Leica?  If my memory
> serves, the original 28-70 was supposedly designed optically by Sigma and
> made to Leica quality by Sigma (with a several fold higher price as compared
> with their counterpart).

If you read the Leica catalogue, they rave about the optical quality of all
their lenses.  Except the 28-70mm zoom (not the f/2.8 one, the other one).
For that, they only mention the convenience of a zoom, compactness of lens,
how it makes a good travel package and (I think) the fact that the front
doens't rotate so you can stick a polarizer on it.  Not a word on optical
quality ;)

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | "We can't make mistakes like that on our
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   |  own. We need computers to help us."
email: howard.390@osu.edu     |     -- A pharmacologist on computerization