Subject: Re: [Leica] Michael Scarpitti
From: Michael Scarpitti <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 19:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net> wrote:
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> >Thousands of pros don't know **** from shinola.
> >Stupidity multiplied thousands of times is still
> >stupidity. The average pro is a nit-wit with poor
> self
> >esteem who "has to" use whatever the latest guru
> uses
> >(Velvomita, F5's, etc.) just to assuage his
> feelings
> >of gross inadequacy and inferiority.
> and then he wrote:
> >It's Aryan, by the way, and I'm Italian. I wasn't
> >talking about M's either. I use SL2's, the best
> 35mm
> >reflex ever made. What I argued in my previous post
> >still stands. Find a group with a lower IQ (or
> lower
> >self-esteem) than professional photographers and
> I'll
> >eat my hat. I've worked with them. I know.
> and further:
> >Then why are all the lawyers, doctors and dentists
> >amateurs (I mean amateur photographers)? You wanna
> bet
> >which group has the higher average IQ? Wanna bet
> which
> >group has the higher average annual income?
>
> >Lawyers/doctors/dentists or professional
> >photographers?
>
> >Having spent some years in photo retailing, I'll
> take
> >the first group EVERY TIME!
>
> Michael,
>
> I suspect you would not say anything like this in
> person, to someones
> face.
>
> Would you please not do it on this list?
>
> Please think before you write.
>
> Herny Ambrose

I happen to have had about 20 years experience in
photo retailing. I sold TONS of equipment to both pros
and amateurs. One of my biggest sales was to a
physician who was retiring in the near future. He
bought a Hasselblad and two lenses. He was a
delightful customer to work with, and a wonderful,
warm human being.
I recently saw him and he was happy as a clam,
Very few pros have left any sort of positive
impression on me.