Subject: Re: [Leica] Follow focusing (WAS: Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
From: Michael Scarpitti <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 19:56:00 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> wrote:
> Simon Lamb wrote:
> >
> > I was talking about the F5 function called Focus
> Lock-On.  This means that if you
> > are panning a moving object, the camera will know
> the focussing distance because the
> > D-type lens will tell the camera what it is, then
> if an ancillary subject crosses
> > the field of view (or you pan across an
> intermediate object) the AF will not
> > re-focus on the object that just entered the field
> of view but stay with the
> > original subject.  So, if you are tracking a
> person walking down the street and a
> > bus passes through the viewfinder it will appear
> blurred because the F5 will not
> > focus on it.  When the bus leaves the field of
> vision the original subject will
> > still be in focus (or so close that the AF will
> nail it within a few milliseconds).
> >

> Hi Simon.
>
> With your F5, in a sports situation such as soccer,
> for how long does
> your focus lock stay locked on? Mine attempts to
> focus on the invading
> player without much of a delay - couple of
> milliseconds. The focus lock
> does work, but for me, only when the intervening
> player is just a flash
> in the viewfinder.  A bus getting in the way would
> certainly cause a
> refocussing, on the bus.  Unless it was a Formula 1
> bus, driven by
> Shoe-Maker (oblig. Leica content).
>
> Regards
>
> Rick Dykstra

Having photographed just about every sport at the
collegiate level, I must admit that soccer is one of
the toughest, with football actually being one of the
easier ones. My advice is to follow the player until
he pauses to kick, and then shoot. Trying to follow
the ball is actually harder. Follow the player.
Another pointer is to stay behind the goal area,
because the action will often be coming toward you.
Shhoting from the touch line is a little harder, but I
have some good shots from there too.

(I'm assuming manual focus here.)