Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Long Leica glass
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:24:52 -0500

once upon a time Mike Stoesz wrote:

> My intended use with either of these will mostly be indoors--theater, dance,
> orchestra concerts.  I usually use a monopod for support.  I recently had a
> Canon A2 but found that it could not focus any better than I could and in many
> cases not as well in very low light conditions.  The Leicaflex SL with it's
> bright viewfinder and center microprism is a joy to use and the focusing is
> very
> positive.

Yes that is a big problem with the Canon's in low light.  One thing I hate
about them is that it is almost impossible to zone focus also.  At least on
the old manual lenses when it was too dark to accurately focus one could
stick on a wide lens, a flash, and zone focus at a decent aperture and get
acceptable results, but on the AF lenses the damn focusing scale is tiny and
behind a plastic window...hard to see in day light at night forget about it.
For low light the M's rule...but for your uses probably not too good...not
enough reach.

Some day I will have to look at a Leicaflex SL and see what all the fuss is
about.  The best screens I have ever used were the matte screens for the
Canon F1ns when married to a 300 or 400 2.8...those things just leap into
focus it seemed.

> This is not my only camera system. I also use Olympus OM4t and lenses from 24
> 300 but it is not as bright.

That Olympus 300 2.8 was supposed to be a really nice lens...looked small
and light, is it?

> BTW: I liked your web site.

Thanks, I need to update it badly.
- --