Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W in high contrast situations
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:56:17 -0700

Arthur writes:
- -----Original Message-----

|What's the best way to shoot black and white in bright mid-day light? I tried
|using Ilford Pan F ISO 50 in that situation (Rajastan)  recently and came
|away with much to much contrast and worse,  completely blocked shaddows.
|What's the best film to use in this situation?  What's the best exposure
|strategy?  How do you "pull" film? Is that a good way to go? Thanks for your
|help. Arthur.

There are too many variables for a simple answer.  However, you did not say
how the film was developed.  If you follow Ilford's  recommendation (which is
also in the Anchell and Troop book) for development in D76, you will have the
situation you describe.  The development time stated for D76 is forty percent
more than the time stated for the equivalent Ilford developer.

Bill