Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers IQ test
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:01:31 -0600

I think you are confusing intelligence with knowledge and experience. After
we learn a fact or procedure we tend to slowly lose the memory of the
learning process. When my two year old son starts to learn new things, he
first relates it to what he knows already which results in some hilarious
(stupid?) questions and statements. At his first sight of a cow, he called
it a dog. Makes perfect sense from his perspective: four legs, tail, head
and does not meow; must be a dog. I try not to judge a person's intelligence
by their first questions or statements on a subject they are unfamiliar
with. They will always use phrases and analogies from their (unfamiliar to
us) experience. Naturally this confuses us as we do not understand where the
heck fire that (stupid?) question or statement came from. Perhaps our own
sometimes arrogant replies illustrate our lack of intelligence; definitely
our lack of compassion.

John Collier