Subject: Re: [Leica] unscrew front element
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:38:23 -0600

I have not seen any replies to this post so I will offer up some thoughts.
My attempts at answers are frequently so inaccurate that they result in
general wild hilarity and, fortunately, often with a knowledgeable person
stepping up to the plate. So here goes. First I assume you mean millimetres
not centimetres as that would be some misalignment! If it is such a small
amount as a few millimetres, then try a roll or two wide open and focused
carefully. Evaluate the results  and away you go. That was practical common
sense speaking, here is what I would do. Send it in for a CLA. When I buy
used I always budget for a CLA by a excellent Leica tech. You never know
what this stuff goes through before we end up with it. My used 50/2 had to
have its cam readjusted as it did not couple to the rangefinder properly
(infinity off compared to my other lenses), my 21/3.4's optical unit
loosened in the focusing mount and my 135/4.5 with proper matched focusing
mount had to be collimated.

John Collier