Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Wedding photography
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:45:13 -0700

Doug Nygren wrote:

> Once in a while I take wedding or Bar/Bat Mitzvah photos for friends.
> Helping out my friends has helped me appreciate these special event
> photographers. I have found it stressful. There are worries about
> equipment and the desire to meet others' expectations. At one event
> while I was taking a family photo, it became clear to me that the
> grandfather wanted a certain type of photo. It was clear to me that he
> was a tyrant, and that his son, ie. my friend, would be in trouble if I
> didn't get the photo granddad wanted. Sweat began to pour down my back.
> Can be hard work this special event photography. These photographers
> earn their money though I'm glad I don't do it often.
>
> doug nygren

You get some smart modern yuppie couple tell you to express yourself
artistically and the next thing you know you are working for their parents. It's
murder not knowing who your client is! ... till the shoot.  Last minute they go
"can't we have just a little color I'm not sure we can live with just black and
white!" They are feeling pressure from older generations!! But I get less
problems for Grandparents then Parents. People who were around in the 20's know
how to have fun! But that Depression made people lose their sense of humor; uptight!
Mark Rabiner