Subject: Re: Europe Travel (was Re: [Leica] London and Paris Trip- Airport Security)
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:21:56 -0700

Art,
Europe is really not a problem at all, especially with Leicas.  To be
honest, you would have more to be worried about from customs if you were
carrying Sony video cameras worth a fraction of your Leicas.  However, if
you eliminate any questions from US Customs upon your return, you can
register the cameras with them before you leave.  Last time I did this with
my Leicas, the Customs people acted like it was a waste of time, and were
reluctant to write up my lenses on thier form.

Also, when registering with customs, you do not have to prove where you
purchased the equipment.  They just want to see that you left with it, so
that when you come home, they know the equipment originated in the US.

You have more to worry about if you're going to places in the Middle East,
or parts of SE Asia.  I did not register any equipment before my recent
Burma trip, and Customs didn't have a problem with any of it.  They did give
me a thorough checking over, but that had more to do with the fact that I'd
just come from Myanmar through Bangkok.  I had 2 Leica M6s, around 6 M
lenses, Canon EOS1n with 8mm fisheye and IPIX head, a Sony PD100A DVCAM, and
Sony PCM-M1 DAT, complete with wireless mics, and all the other associated
gadgets, all packed in locked Pelican cases.  None of it was registered
beforehand.  Customs couldn't care less about this stuff.  They wanted to
know where I'd been, what I was doing there, etc.  They're mostly just
looking for drugs on people returning from anywhere near the golden
triangle.

But Europe is no problem at all...especially the UK and France.  UK Customs
has never even looked at me sideways at Heathrow, and US Customs never gives
me a second look when returning from Europe  Driving into France from
Germany a couple of years ago was almost like crossing a state border here
in the US.  Just go and have a good time.  You won't have a problem unless
you look like some kind of hippy freak.

- --Jim Laurel