Subject: [Leica] Re: AF
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:29:45 -0700

At 09:53 AM 5/16/00 -0700, Rich Lahrson wrote:
>Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> What if you had to take a picture of a chair?
>
>Hi Mark,
>
>     You focuz a third in.
>
>				Rich

Not usually easy to do with autofocus. This is the problem with AF. It is
difficult to tell it "exactly" where to focus. I can only focus on
something that has an abrupt change in contrast. It may not be able to see
vertical lines, or horizontal lines. A photograph of that diminishing
picket fence might be difficult. Or that photograph of the diminishing
railroad track. Or that chair with vertical slats.

AF is great for wedding receptions, bachelor parties, a two year old, a
dinner party, etc.

But it sucks big time if you know the "craft" of photography and want to
focus on a "specific" spot because that will give you the precise DOF that
you want. In fifty years, I've not yet found a use for AF. I personally
like to control my photographic result. I don't want a computer algorithm
dreamed up by some programmer sitting in a cubicle, to attempt to focus for me.

Having said that, that is precisely what I am doing at this moment. I'm
writing the algorithm and program to focus the digital camera we
(PhotoAccess) are designing and producing. But I won't use it. Engineering
it is one thing. Using it is yet another.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: AF DOF)
Message from "AWSteg" <upstream1@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)