Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia
From: Peter Jon White <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 06:43:24 -0400

So, in trying to decide which of two films you would prefer, are you saying
that you would rather read the opinions of others, than look at the two
films side by side? How can someone else's description of an emulsion be
better than seeing it for yourself?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I really don't understand this.

At 09:43 AM 5/17/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Jon White <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
>
> >Why not buy a roll of each and try them? For less than $40 you can
>have far
>better information about those two films than you can get here.
>
> >What possible value could anyone else's opinion have compared to your
>own,
>especially when film and processing is so cheap?
>
>Perhaps because other people represent a much wider range of
>experience. I've used Ektachrome for more than 20 years, and thought I
>knew its capabilities fairly well, but got 'stung' last year when I
>took a series of photos in the main street of a small town in the
>southern USA last winter. The entire set was fit only for the dustbin;
>Ektachrome simply couldn't handle the contrast between the sunlit part
>of the street and the shadows. From experience I thought I'd get away
>with it... I know better now.
>
>Regards,
>
>Doug Richardson
>

>In my opinion, Velvia gives every picture that "Warner Brother's
>Cartoon"
>look, because of the ridiculously high color saturation. But so what?
>Nobody should give a flying whoopy what I think. You're the
>photographer/artist. You're the one making the image. It's only YOUR
>vision
>that counts.

Peter Jon White

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia)