Subject: Re: [Leica] m5 battery
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:10:41 EDT

I have had an M5 for 20 + years, (bought it when I was a photo dealer in
Ohio, but don't get me started). I bought a bunch of PX 625 mercury batteries
the last time I was in Europe, but even they will be gone someday.
You have several replacement solutions for Mercury batteries.
1. The CRIS adapter works well, the AgO batteries it uses are a suitable
replacement in terms of voltage, and most importantly discharge curve.
2. Wein makes a replacement cell that is really a 1.4 volt Zinc Air hearing
aid battery in it's own adapter for size only. Wein makes them in a few
popular mercury sizes.
3. For my M5 I buy ZNAir batteries at Walmart, They are outrageously cheap,
and make my own adapters for size using a rubber grommet to enlarge the OD
and a simple washer to increase the cells thickness. This type of cell has a
very long shelf (or bag) life, but a useful life of maybe only 2-3 months.
It's voltage is virtually the same as the outlawed mercury, 1.4 vs. 1.35, and
the discharge curve is again very similar.
4. Your last option is a trip to Sherry's or a repair station for a voltage
adjustment. Then you can install an alkaline PX625. This cell has a different
voltage, the reason for the adjustment, and also a different discharge curve.
the latter means that your exposures will change slightly as your battery is
gradually discharged. This is a relatively minor change, but we own Leicas
because we don't tolerate minor imperfections don't we.

I am still trying to track down the Chinese company that was reportedly
making mercury button cells. One of my sales people is over there right now
talking with battery manufacturers and he's looking. I'll report when I get
some results.

Bruce
used to be a retailer in Ohio, but now I sell battery materials
Bowman
Killingworth CT

 In a message dated 5/17/00 9:34:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,