Subject: Re: [Leica] velvia vs. provia
From: "leicar8" <leicar8@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 06:55:44 -0700

Velvia has been to the 1990s, and undoubtedly will continue to be to the
2000s, what LSD and mescaline were to the '60s. (Ha!) For a great analysis
of saturated slide films versus standard slide films and their respective
effects when shooting plant life, read botanist Charles Sheviak's
informative and well-prepared article, "Natural Color", in the June issue of
Outdoor Photographer. It's not yet on Outdoor's Web page but eventually will
be. This should be required (eye-opening)reading for all photographers who
are gung ho on using Velvia most or all of the time. An opening excerpt:

"My colleagues and I employ photography in the course of our work to record
the plants under study, their places in the natural world, and to
communicate this information in lectures and publications. Our ability to do
this is threatened by the preponderance of highly saturated, warm color
balances in today's films, which is becoming of increasing concern and
frustration to me and my botanical colleagues..."

The accompanying color photos prove his points.

Terry