Subject: Re: [Leica] "Quick" DOF calculation
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:29:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/00 11:58:50 AM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

>Well, like I always say, street shooting is like jazz. The first time I
>listened to Charlie Parker it sounded like a mess and I didn't get it at
>all.

I've found with even the most complex jazz that if I focus my attention on
one instrument for awhile then the rest gradually come into play and the
whole then makes sense. I have not had the same experience looking at the
worst of "street photography." No matter how hard I look it just comes across
as sloppy seeing by somebody who appears to be afraid of making contact with
people.

>Moreover, good street photography is both technically and emotionally
>extremely challenging. That's perhaps why a lot of it (and I include many
>images on my own site) is not so great. Maybe another reason you don't
>like
>it because it's what HCB called 'anti-graphic' photography. Who knows?
>
>It's HARD, man. You'll never know how hard until you try it. And if you
>don't like it I guess you'll never try it. Oh well.

I'm sure that's true of the best stuff. Besides, I accept the notion that
different people like different things. That's why they make all those
flavors of ice cream.

Bob (likes strawberry, doesn't care for chocolate much) McEowen

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] "Quick" DOF calculation)