Subject: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 05:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Jon White <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com> wrote:

> So, in trying to decide which of two films you would prefer, are you
> saying that you would rather read the opinions of others, than look
at
> the two films side by side? How can someone else's description of an
> emulsion be better than seeing it for yourself?
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative. I really don't understand this.

Why read any books if not to learn from others' experiences?  Taking
others experiences and combining them with my own experiments is
usually the quickest way to find the results I want.  When I know what
others have experienced, I can know what is normal to expect when I'm
doing my own comparison.  Chances are good that if I experience what
others have reported, that I am seeing typical results.  If my
experiences vary widely from those of others, maybe I'm seeing the
effect from a different variable than what I'm trying to study or I'm
doing something incorrectly.