Subject: Re: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:50:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/00 5:11:03 PM, ls@influxpoint.com writes:

<< You're both raising valid points however I don't think anyone's not
'getting' something . . . . <much snipped> . . .  It is "What people look
like when they are in a street and have a moment to react to someone who
making them out to be 'reality'."  Media - media press AP  snippets about my
reality, the picture of me as taken by street photographers.
How about just showing all the ones giving the finger at the camera?  It's
quite truthful statistically.  >>

Whoa! There is something I DIDN'T get! Are you saying that one of the
points/purposes/aims/whatever of so-called "street photography" is to capture
the LOOK that happens when your victim, er, subject realizes you're taking
their picture and is wondering who in the world you are and why you're taking
their photo? One of the "street photography" sites I saw today had a section
on "The Look" and that's all it was -- deer in the headlight photos. Well
now, that does add another piece to the puzzle doesn't it?

Actually that opens up all kinds of questions but I guess most of them can be
summed up in this: What is it, exactly, that "street photographers" are
trying to SAY about the people they photograph? In other words, what is the
point?

Bob (trying to become street smart) McEowen