Subject: [Leica] NYC impressions
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 03:41:19 EDT

Nathan,

Corpcrat America rules mid- and uptown. But the really interesting part of
town for field photography begins south of Houston Street. It intersects the
Village, then proceeds along the Eastside to Delancey. Veer off to Canal
Street, shoot the great working bridges -- the Manhattan and the
Williamsburg. Then peruse the financial district and its churches -- my
favorite is St. Paul's. Stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights
and thence to Cadman Plaza and Court Street, sidling up Atlantic Avenue for a
touch of the Middle East. If you find walking difficult, you can track this
area using a good subway map.

My favorite lenses for the M and CL are the wider lenses, but a 90 comes in
handy when shooting along the shores of the East and Hudson Rivers, which
focus you toward the southern prow of NYC, Battery Park. Start early in the
morning.

The acid test of a good architectural photographer is the World Trade Center.
The trick is to break out of its geometry. Let me know how you do. I was
never able to crack that problem. In the same area, reconnoiter the World
Financial Center with its postmodern attempt at something different. Try to
shoot that something different. If you have the moxie, you might have a
better chance at sunset.

If you're looking for ghosts, take the subway to Roosevelt Island and peruse
the southern end. If you want to get intimate with NYC, use your 50mm lenses.
The common denominator of all cities is people.

Best,
BR