Subject: Re: [Leica] Barnack IIIF question.
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 12:45:23 -0700

Simon-

For a user, the price seems a little high considering that new shutter
curtains and a CLA are necessary; that alone will runt about $250. A CLA of
the lens- I'd figure $45-75 depending on the complexity of the job, but you
are looking at about $300 in repairs- I'd offer no more than about $250,
tops.
I say that because I recently got a IIIc, which looked like it had had new
curtains installed, and was very clean and the shutter was spot on for only
$225!
Also- check the (gulp) eBay listings for recently completed auctions for
IIIf cameras, and cameras with lenses. You can get a ball park idea of what
is being spent.
I use the IIIa- even these oldsters are fairly cheap, and smaller than the
IIIf or IIIc- with an Elmar, and it does indeed make a small package- but
don't get caught 'in the moment' and overspend!!
Dan (buying film with the money I saved!) Post