Subject: Re: [Leica] Barnack IIIF question.
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 11:13:34 -0600

Simon Stevens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if a luglurker can ask a quick question? I have seen a IIIF
> black dial for sale in an as-is condition for $500 and I'm wondering if
> this is a good price.

Simon,

I haven't seen an Elmar hood before, and it may be worth paying a bit
extra for. The original IIIf eyepiece is plastic and probably cracked. I
see folks selling NOS parts from time to time, but a handy person could
probably fabricate a duplicate at home. At the very least, verify that
the VF and RF look good.

I have a pretty IIIf RD in John Van Stelton's shop awaiting $350 worth
of shutter replacement plus a CLA job. The wait thus far has been around
3 months and counting, and as he explains it, this requires a very
thorough disassembly and strictly speaking, I wouldn't call this
cost-effective, particularly as I'll have $600+ sunk into a camera that
doesn't have a self-timer, and while pretty, it isn't mint, and even has
someone's name engraved on the bottom!

But what can I say? Classic Leica worship isn't entirely rational: I'll
never make a profit selling THAT camera but won't it be nice having one
which is ready for another 40+ years of use before the next major
overhaul?
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado